Gulfport,MS 2012

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Shrimp Stuffed Bell Peppers

We went to the farmers market on Sunday after church and they had a good deal on green bell peppers, they were 3 for a $1. It was the perfect opportunity to make stuffed bell peppers, but not your ordinary stuffed peppers, we decided to kick it up a notch and stuff them with shrimp...ummm, the recipe is below

What I used:  Butter :), better than bouillon (for broth), cream of chicken soup, onion, celery, garlic, bread crumbs, salad shrimp (I used one small bag),  and bell peppers (duh),


Here I cut my bell peppers in half, seeded them and rinsed them out. Cutting them in half is optional I do this to get more bang for my buck, I end up with 8 servings instead of 4.


Then you would need to parboil them (partially boil) for 2-4 minutes.

In the meantime, saute your garlic, onions, and bell pepper in butter. I also added in about a 1/2 cup of chopped celery..I have a thing for the trinity (bell pepper,onion and celery).

 

Here you add in the shrimp and cook for 3-5 minutes. Then you add in the soup and the 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and let cook for a few more minutes then season to taste. I could not, for the life of me find cream of shrimp soup anywhere so I used what I had cream of chicken and it turned out great.


Here are the seasonings I used, but you can use whatever you have on hand.

Add in bread crumbs next, I added 1/2 cup at a time until I got the consistency I liked, yours may be thicker or thinner than mine. Its really about preference at this stage.

Then stuff your peppers!!! I followed the directions and cooked them for 45 minutes, but I wanted them a little bit browner so I cooked them a tad bit longer. Then I added the cheese and broiled them and VOILA...omg this was a great meal. I am used to using rice when I stuff peppers, but since this recipe didnt call for any we had some on the side. The family LOVED it, I will definitely add this to my arsenal and probably tweak it here and there over the years. I hope you all like eat..enjoy!!



Serves: 4
Cooking Time: 45 min
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 large onions, diced
  • 4 green peppers
  • 4 green onions
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 to 4 cups bread crumbs
  • 2 pounds shrimp, chopped
  • Chicken stock
  • 1 can cream of shrimp soup
  • Salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to taste
  • 4 pats of butter
  • 1/2 to 1 cup of grated cheese
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
     
  2. Cut and dice tops of peppers and clean inside.
     
  3. Place diced peppers, onions, and garlic in a large skillet and saute until clear.
     
  4. Add shrimp and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes on low-medium heat.
     
  5. Add soup (undiluted) and 1/2 cup chicken stock.
     
  6. Add seasonings and simmer until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
     
  7. When done add bread crumbs to mixture until proper consistency (not mushy, not dry).
     
  8. Parboil peppers.
     
  9. Spoon mixture into peppers and top with butter and bread crumbs.
     
  10. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 45 minutes.
     
  11. Remove from oven and top with grated cheese and broil until brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails